Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Part 3

So after Denver street I passed over to the bay. By this time I must say it was HOT! I definitely was starting to drag. I still felt good & wasn't ready to stop mentally, my body was just slowing down. The bay is my turf though, this is where everything started. This is where I use to walk before I started ACTUALLY working out, this was where I ran the day of my brothers funeral, where I did my longest solo run which was 8 miles & I was shocked I did it...it was my turf (pavement).
The bay portion headed to the end by De Anza cove then we turned around & ran along the bay path. As tired as I was I just kept moving. About mile 21 there was Stacy! I was happy to see her BUT she was DONE! I felt bad for her cause I didn't feel the way she did. At Kathy's I had picked up some pretzels but couldn't eat & run but wanted to eat them eventually so I held onto them & offered some to her. I think the only thing she wanted was to be put of the heat & at the finish. I ended up heading on with out her. After the bay was FIESTA ISLAND when we were on a training run we ran around it & I was warned it was gonna SUCK! it pretty much did! It seemed unending! It was blazing hot there was no spectators...it was so close to the finish but not. I still didn't need or want to stop. There was definitely people that I ran by that were miserable. They looked like they had been ready to stop miles ago. I had a few more people encourage me along they route because of my shirt. One lady said to me she saw me at the start line & i had done an incredible job, that my brother was watching me from heaven & so proud! I got choked up for a second & she ran off saying enjoy your big moment! And towards then end there was a lot of Team in Training coaches. I overheard them talking to their team members & took their encouragement as my own. When I hit mile 25 that was a huge point for me...I knew I was done! I took my headphones out ( it was suggested when we were training). I started to just relish this whole process & distance I had covered. One of the TNT coaches told a runner to run point to point. Run to the first tree, then to the trash can, then to the next tree. That worked for me during that last mile! That last 1.2 seemed unending but all along it was tons of people! I even saw marathon maniac Ed in the screaming crowds. The energy was incredible, the anticipation of knowing the finish was moments away! Not just the finish of the race, it's the finish of months of training & commitment. Everything I put into this waiting for the medal to be put around my neck. As soon as I hit the 26 I bolted towards the finish. So many people screaming my name, shouting encouragements, I saw some of the running club peeps that did the 1/2. & then I finished!!! It felt incredible! Everyone said i would cry but I didn't, I felt too good to cry! Elizabeth's dad was at the finish I gave him a hug. Then as I came around the finish my favorite people in the whole world were waiting...my kids & my cousin had come out to see me finish! I stopped to hug and talk to them & then the hobbling started!
I'm sure I I had stopped at any point in the race I would have struggled cause as soon as I stopped at the en everything hurt!! The feeling of elation was the best pain med possible. Even though I hurt I couldn't stop smiling & feeling great!
I keep saying no one is supposed to have such a positive experience like I did doing a marathon...but maybe it's ok if I did. Now I just need to stop convincing myself that I was meant to do this & that is why & convince myself once is enough!!
The end



This was the last .2!









Hitting the finish line!



I'm a marathoner!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Woohoooooo! You did it! (Finished the blog, that is! HAHAHAHA!)

    ReplyDelete