Monday, April 9, 2012

Know-go

After our final workout the 2 mile swim we had a team meeting to go over the know-go....it took me about 15 min in to the meeting to find someone to ask what's a no-go???? It's the "know before you go" packet of info they handed us. It's referred to as the know-go which is odd cause it sounds more like NO-GO as in it's a no go...once I was shown the meaning i was able to focus!
There was a lot to go over! The schedule, where to be when, don't be late! During the meeting the team also had a potluck YUM! & voting for the final spirit award winner. SIDEBAR- I have changed so much in recent weeks. I had gotten to know & love so many more of my teammates. I had gotten so into the whole cheer squad sign making super seal day. I was having FUN & enjoying being with my TEAM. I know why I fought it in the beginning I was hurting & I been burned by lots of peeps (to be honest I got burned by one person on this team this season even-big mean liar). It's hard for me to be open to this heart warming touchy feely huggy stuff...but I got broken down when I met so many wonderful honest people who care so much about other people! They were so supportive of me along the way & I can say I couldn't of done this with out them! That being said I had also grown attached to the spirit award. Not te actual award (it's kinda gaudy) but what it represented for me, the journey I took.
The voting went on during the meeting & once we had gone over all the important details, eaten until we were stuffed! The announcement came...
two of the mentors stood up & started with we swam with her today (I instantly knew it was me) they talked about how I had spent the season unsure if I could do all the things I could accomplish but did! Both these ladies had seen me through really big moments along my journey & having them with me for the final swim was perfect ending. As the talked about me & the award I began to sob. It was so overwhelming of a moment. To see that everyone recognized me for what I had done & been through. Coach gave me a big squeeze everyone applauded . I was too choked up to thank them it sent an email later sharing with the team what this had meant to me.

My email: Don't know if ya noticed but I got a little too choked up to speak :'-(
I did want to say thank you to everyone!
I know we still have the race coming up to do BUT today was another iron mountain kinda deal...it's like if I can do this then I can do anything.
The entire swim all I said over & over & OVER was "I will swim across the ocean for you" to my brother. Dang the 40+ foot visibility & schools of fish & stunning views of kelp were distracting!
I started this season out in a lot of pain dealing with the loss of my brother. Signing up to do something that literally scared the shit out of me. But knowing i wanted to be a part of the mission! Sprints are fun but I've proven you can dog paddle & doop-de-do your way through them.
Petrified is the only way to describe me day one on the bike. Panicked is how I would describe me first ocean swim. Grieving is how I drove to & from each training.
All of you have been a part of me over coming my fears & a part of my healing.

Over the season I fell in love...WITH COACH G!!! I don't know how I will live without him! He is freaking HILARIOUS!
All of you have inspired me & helped me through this amazing journey.
I can't thank each & every one of you enough!
This has truly been more then I could of asked or imagined.
I am honored on behalf of my brother & family to say thank you for all the $ raised to end blood cancer. Your hard work fundraising means the world to us!

See you all in Kona :D

HELE HUI
XOXO

Katie Mason

This whole experience pre-race has been more then I could ever imagine! Never expected to actually achieve all I have or enjoy it this much. I've met so many amazing people & only one jerk haha :D I can see why people come back to be a part of this. The experience is so satisfying & fulfilling the race seems almost unnecessary (but I'm still going).
Next stop Lavaman!

No comments:

Post a Comment