Saturday, July 21, 2012

Vineman blog part 2

So I got to T1 and set up my transistion. I went down to the beach ready to go since I would be in the 4th wave there was not much time to wander around. We took team photos and got in our wetsuits. I was definitely ready to take on the swim. The water was warm at first but as we waited 4 or so minutes to start our wave I started to get cold. I wore my sleeveless wetsuit and was starting to worry if I had made a bad decision. I wondered if I was gonna warm up? As soon as I started swimming I knew I was going to be fine. I tried to find someone to draft off of and everytime I got behind someone they all seemed to be kicking wildly and not swimming fast enough. The river is very shallow the whole course but at parts its so shallow you touch the bottom when you are swimming. Some people get out and walk but I felt like stopping to walk would take away from the whole accomplishment. I did stop once and stand to adjust my goggles. The river water was pretty gross it was warm & lots of algae. It was like being in non salty bay water. It's definitely motivation to move quickly to get out of it. Along the swim after one red ballon marker after another there was 2 bright neon orange markers I was thinking DANG the turn around came up fast! As I got closer & closer to this turn around I see MORE red markers beyond them WHAT THE HECK they were some sort of warning markers about what I don't know I didn't stop to read them! I had been told there was a current coming back from the actual turn around point. On our swim preview this was true! But as my friend Jeremy pointed out once everyone is swimming like crazy there would be current going both ways with the flow of the swimmers. I got in one little bit that carried me faster for like 10 feet...
I'd have to go back & look up my time but it was about 50 minutes. Once out of the water I walked to transition & took my time there 10 minutes. I figured what is the hurry when I have 8 hours ahead of me. I didn't want to waste energy to save minutes now when I would need the energy later! This race as 2 transitions so before you leave on bike you have to bag up all the gear. Being one of the last out of the water meant the dirt lot transition was in was now mud! I took extra time to wash off & dry my feet trying & failing not to get my socks wet before getting in my bike shoes. I walked out of transition & up the small hill before mounting my bike. Then I was out on the bike course!....to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment