Sunday, July 25, 2010

the swimming lesson

I should have wrote this a week ago but I am sort of glad I'm a lagger. Last Sunday a friend's husband gave me a swimming lesson. He has experience as a competitive diver, lifeguard, teacher etc. I had asked her if he could help and once the schedules aligned we all went to the pool together (the kiddos too!)
It was not a large pool but enough to take a few strokes across one way. He actually said I wasn't that bad! I thought he was gonna shudder and shake his head when he saw me swim! So I got a ton of little tidbits that I knew would help but the #1 thing I learned was how to breathe! It seems so silly but proper breathing has transformed my swimming.
He asked how do you breath? Well I fill up my cheeks with air like a chipmunk, hold my breath then quickly blow out before getting more air...he chuckled...
I didn't think of it until after, when my swimming changed competely, but what it I ran like that?! Holding my breath! I couldn't I would be constantly out of breath, exhausted, I wouldn't go the distance I go. Well the same with swimming! Now that I know how to breath right my swimming is methodical, and I have a pace set by my breathing and my stamina is incredibly better! I feel like in the next 7 weeks I will totally be able to get up to swimming 500 yards easily! I even feel ready to tackle open water swimming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment