Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Trying something different

This week I took a friends offer & joined her at Crossfit. I guess you could say it's the new thing in fitness. These gyms are popping up all over. I can't exactly explain it all that great. It's a cross between a personal trainer, boot camp, circuit work out place???? I was excited to try it AND see how I measured up! They have 2 levels of work outs and the goal is to improve the time it takes to do specific exercises. They post on the walls the top achievers of each exercise AND even have crossfit competitions (I've been told it is shown on espn).
You arrive at crossfit and the warm up along with the level 1 and level 2 workouts are posted on a white board. After you finish the warm up that consists of cardio, plyometrics and stretching the trainer goes over the work out and starts the timer. I ended up going 3 times this past week. It was the most intense workouts I have ever done. The first day we did rowing machine 500 yards, dead lifts 12 times and 21 box jumps, 3 rounds!!! It took an hour total but the workout which is timed was 25 minutes or so. I could not believe the work out I got in such a small amount of time. I like someone else making the plan and just following it and the ide
of improving each time & competition (top acheivers in each excercise are posted on the wall). I headed back for more the next day. This work out was a 1 mile run, then 10 burpees, 20 sit ups 5 rounds!!! followed by another 1 mile run. We had chose the level 2 work out. I was sweating like mad! So much the owners wife showed concern and told me dont worry about doing it all just do as much as you can. I was fine I told her. I should come with a sweat disclaimer.
Saturday I did my long run and was done with crossfit but that day I had hooked up my friend Becky to go to the free class with my girl. Becky loved it and wanted to go back for the class on Sunday (every Sunday 10am is a free session). It was a partner work out so I agreed to go along. Becky is one of the most fit people from Jason's B Cubed. She and I were both feeling way out of shape in this class. As partners you had to complete one at time together 100 kettle bell swing, 100meter fireman carry, 150 pushups, 100 m fire man carry, 100 push presses, 100 m fire man carry and then 150 split lunge jumps (hate this the most of anything in the whole world). It was BRUTAL. As I type this 2 days later I am still barely able to move.
The crazy thing is I love the way this feels! It is definitely the next level in fitness and something I wish I could get into. There is no way I could afford the fees $150 per month. While the value is there I just dont have the $ and I would be concerned about getting my money's worth when I also have to tri-train.
I am just so busy with my life, work , mommy, homeschool etc. Working out has to fill in to my little bit of free time.
I am so glad that I tried it and will definitely take many more free classes. I just dont plan to pay for it anytime soon.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment