Saturday, March 10, 2012

a blogging tri...

Catching up on everything feels like I am facing a triathlon in itself. I think it is a good thing that I am working so hard and keeping busy training (along with my busy life) that I am just too tired to write all this. I would do it at work BUT sadly work has been BUSY as well!!!
So I am going to focus on some of the highlights:
La Jolla shores swim 2/25
This was a big deal for me because it was really the first time I got out in the ocean and had a really good long non stop swim. I had been out to La Jolla shores twice the week before and worked on my surf entry. Out in the water though I was working with swim buddies and it was a swim and wait sort of deal. It was eye opening to be out in the water with people who were equally not as comfortable as me and I had to sort of suck it up and be the calm collected one.
When we went out on Sunday I got out past the surf (the scary part) and just went for it. I was definitely one of the slowest (no surprise) but I felt like I was doing SO WELL. Coach G came by on the kayak and I think was also thinking the same thing. He said I was flying along and my stroke looked very balanced. I have no clue how far we swam out and back but I felt good about my distance, my endurance and my calmness. It was one of those moments where I felt like putting in the time and effort had paid off.

Iron Mountain Brick-
I remember when we got the schedule for the season and looking 18-20 weeks in and seeing things like 50 mile bike ride and 30 mile iron mountain brick. I thought there is NO WAY I am going to be able to do this stuff. It seemed so impossible and so much bigger then anything I knew myself capable of. I went to my cousins house to sleep over before the iron mountain brick because she lived close and I could sleep a little late :) PLUS extra time with my best friend not a bad thing!!! We ate some dinner and went to bed. I was so tired from fishing with my kids that day I went right to sleep. Unfortunately that was also when my killer headache began :( It continued through the night and I woke up in serious pain. I was so determined to do this work out as coach had said over and over this was his favorite work out and the hardest work out. It would be harder then our actual race. I felt like if I did this work out AND I had done that killer 50 miler I would feel ready for Lavaman.
Waking up with a headache was not what I had visualized. I didn't want to go. Then I decided to go and just not do the workout. Then I got some coffee which seemed to help and some tylenol/advil. Sadly after two sips of coffee I spilled the dang thing (I have been dealing with the smell from that ever since). I did start to feel a little better and decided to do the first part of the ride which would total 12 miles and climb iron mountain (6 miles). Once on the road my headache returned with a vengeance I stopped and rested which helped. I got to the 12 miles and was coaxed to go further. What would of been 15 miles round trip. Once there I was reminded that I wanted to finish this brick AND was TOLD that I would go all the way. I figured if it was race day I would not of backed out. I had stopped a bunch of times on the ride which I would of NOT done so much if I had known I was going to go all the way but it was done. Now I had to get up iron mountain. I still felt crummy but decided to get to the "T" where my friend was volunteering for SAG and turn around 1.5 miles (3 total). I also decided to give it my all and run. Well after 30 mile bike ride it was like a trot. I got the the 1.5 and saw my awesome friend. Right then the SAG people at the top said on the walkie talkie that the last people were headed down & so were they. I think he saw the look of disappointment I had. He said do you want to go? I said tell them I will head up until I reach them and then head back down. I got almost all the way to the top. I ran most of it too. I definitely ran down the mountain (carefully though-took a nasty spill there before). I think I was headache free at some point or I had so much adrenaline going I didn't notice anymore. Coach ran by me on my way up said "how do you like this work out" I said "I hate it" He said GOOD! I am glad I did it. I am proud that I pushed through my pain. I would totally go back and do this one again. I am such a gluten for torture I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment