Thursday, May 3, 2012

Swim practice

Due to my swing shift schedule I never make track workouts with the team (ever-never been to one Lavaman or now). I wonder how different my run would be if I had any training in this area.
I have been able to attend swim practice though. During the beginning of Lavaman I missed it because I was finishing up my support group class but eventually I made it to a few Wednesday nights (I have every other wed off). Not sure if I got out of it what I should have. I certainly didn't learn how to actually DO a swim work out because this week with vineman team I was clueless. It did provide for some comedic relief on my behalf. My favorite was Coach Trent only being able to say well you're here in the pool...
This is what the work out looks like:
VINEMAN SDIT 5/2
WARM UP: 500: 300 Swim / 100 pull / 100 skate
800 Drafting Switch Leader every 50 yards
5x200 :30 rest between each 200
• 50 Close Fist Drill
• 50 Catch Up Drill
• 50 Thumb to Thigh Drill
• 50 Swim (breath on weak side only) 200 pull
3x100 descending Splits (try and decrease time by 5-‐10 each 100)
6 x 50 add a push up each 25 (start easy and build up)
If time-‐practice easy freestyle with bilateral breathing

My response is "huh?" what's pull? With a pull buoy you do arms only "oh yeah" is that like last week I couldn't do it...no that was kick only...oh yeah I couldn't figure that out...
I did the warm up & drafting drill with Denise (we only did 100 yards of drafting cause our time was running out fast). Then why I couldn't figure oh the 5x200 meant go through the 4 drills 50 yards each equalled a 200 yard set then rest?!?! Seriously lacking in the intelligence area here.
Again running of time skipped the 200 pull & was going to go into descending splits. Denise says you try to go faster each time. I read descending I say no you get slower...she says no it means you take 5-10 seconds off your time like instead of it talking you a minute fifteen seconds you do it in a minute ten...still not getting I have the coach explain and after a minute or so it dawns on me...I'm not computing this swim language at all. So I take off & after 50 yards Denise yells at me hey! What is your time... I say I dunno was just going to see if I seemed like I felt faster each time. At this everyone is dying laughing & coach points out the numerous giant clock timers at every part if the pool & Denise says your supposed to look at the timer.
This whole thing was hilarious & I was literally grinning in the pool at how ditzy I was. I feel like I'm the accidental triathlete. I need it to be this way though. Life is a struggle for me, I'm barely making it & tripping over myself & making mistakes left & right...God grants me His grace new every morning. This parallels my life...I'm sort of doop-de-doing my way through it but it's the only way to show its not me it's Him who is in me that will get me too the finish...in life & in the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment