Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The big one!

All the training IS leading up to the marathon BUT this week was the longest training run we do before the 26.2. It was another train run. This time we rode the train from same station to Oceanside BUT we ran north 2.5miles then back to the car.











Not so many pictures of the gorgeous coastline or my buddy the Carlsbad kook. It took everything I had mentally & physically to do this one!
I stayed with the pace group until we got aroun mile 9. My knees started to hurt! I fell back with another chick who was struggling. She wanted to walk in intervals. 4 min run 1 min walk. This one gal stayed with us just to help. The pace group got further ahead & I couldn't keep up with the pain :( I started doing this girls intervals but my knee pain worsens when I stop & start (this includes stopping at the aide stations OUCHIE)
I became so slow that I just ran & when they walked and got a little ahead, then when they ran they pulled ahead. Once we lost the group there was 2 aide stations left. Mentally I tried to break the run into blocks. 4 miles to the next station, then 4 miles to the finish. There was a guy Randy who was the sweeper this time. We were the last 3 slow runners struggling along. The other girl was complaining of bladder pain & stopping & stopping!! I was grunting & groaning from my knee & now leg & bottom of my right foot pain BUT her stopping & stalling was making it so much worse!!
At the last aide station I was in so much pain I wanted to walk the last 4 miles or maybe just get a ride!
I did a lot more walking then running those last few miles. The other girls were still doing intervals & I got to the point I was trailing behind them by a lot. I think it took me all of mile 19 as I walked to get my legs to listen to my brain & start moving! It felt good for a split second to get going but then it just plan hurt. I wanted to be done, I wanted to stop hurting. With one mile to go I actually considered sitting down and quitting! 20 was enough I thought, what did I have to prove I was about to do 26.2. I was sick of pushing & making it worse. I had sent out my text/cry for help & got my reply from Elizabeth who was long done with her big run that day. I didn't even have the ability to pull out my phone & read the texts for a while but when I did she reminded me that tri-Kate doesn't give up, that God's word says I can do all things through Christ! I would like to say the pain miraculously went away & i picked up my stride & flew to the finish. BUT it was more of the same but I shuffled along. Randy the sweeper told us we were super close just cross the street go over the bridge and through the train station parking lot. I I'd shuffle a teeny minuet bit faster. As we went up the bridge he was standing there smiling at us. & he ran with us. As we got of the bridge there was an eruption of applause from the crowd!!!! I threw my hands up in the air in acceptance of their cheers...even though they were actually cheering for the little league game they were watching ;) it still felt triumphant to me!
Randy stole my heart this run. I may never see him again but he became my hero. He followed us the last 6 miles or so of the run & then when we finished I asked if he would drive us the 3 blocks to the beach so I could soak my sore legs in the frigid ocean...he not only did that but waited for us & drove us back.
I'm glad we did such a tough run. I feel like I know a little nit of what the race is going to be like (misery haha).
This week i started a supplement glucosamine with other stuff recommended & promised it will help my knee pain.
I'm looking forward to see if it works & trying to see what else may help me get through this race!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. OMW, you had me laughing out loud about the little league game!!!

    ReplyDelete