Sunday, February 26, 2012

Race #4 of 2012

After a friends advise & prompting I got my kids out running. She runs with her kids daily prior to school & they have all done races.
I found the frozen foods 5k run/walk & it seemed the perfect opportunity to get my kids running. Kids were FREE & adults only $20
They were actually excited about this. Martin took training very serious at first & we would of done MORE training if he hadn't gotten sick for almost 2 weeks. Regardless of training I knew he would do great.
I think my most favorite part was race morning when I woke both the kids up they were both so ready & excited there was no battle! The got right up, got dressed (in the race clothes they had laid out night before). What a great way to start out race day-no fighting kids to get up & out!
We headed down the seaport village & found an open free parking spot! This part only excites mom.
We walked over to the registration got our race bibs, goodie bags & t shirts. The sponsors were green giant & kashi so there was free breakfast from kashi & the frozen foods characters for pre race photos. I had borrowed a jog stroller from my friend (shout out to Deana) for Katalina to ride during the race. Turned out to be great to hold all our goodies & I brought food & water for us. The had a pre race stretch with the veggies. (my kids looked so stinking cute stretching).
Then it was start time. I had to explain the concept to Martin that we needed to start in the back with the stroller cause he wanted to be in front!
We took off & Martin was trying to pull way ahead! He waited for me to catch up & I stressed to him the importance of pacing!!!!! He stuck with me after doing that a few times cause I think he was already pooping himself out Katalina wanted to get out & run. This was adorable and VERY SHORT LIVED. She ran a 100 yards or so & opted to ride.
This is the first time in my life I have ran with a stroller. HARD WORK! I don't know the actual # in pounds extra I pushed buy whoa it felt like a lot!
The stroller was had to maneuver & there was a lot of peeps to get around. I have new respect for the stroller jogger community!
Martin did amazing! He kept his pace (or my pace) well and then everytime he would stop to walk I would walk & ask you wanna take a walk break. He would say no & start running (reminds me of ME). I didn't care if he wanted to walk at all! I mean the poor kid didn't train enough for this! We got about 1/2 way through the race & I saw my friend Michelle up ahead running with her son Jeffrey! Martin ran ahead & caught up I tried to catch up but it's hard to kick it in high gear with that stroller. As I'm trying with all I got to get there Kat yells come on mommy go faster!!!! I gasp IM TRYING! It was quite an amusing sight to the runners around us. I yell ahead Michelle!!! Thinking she would slow or stop to wait for me...nope. She threw a behind her head wave at me hahaha. I finally caught up totally dying out of breath. I said huuuh huuuuh gasp stroller huuuuh hard uugh hi huuuh didn't know hooooogh you were huuuuh racing ugh....
She says go ahead and run your pace with Kat & I'll take the boys to the finish & took off! I trailed behind then for awhile & then some how caught my breathe AND my stride!
As can happen my body decided it felt great & was happy to be running & allowed me to push strong through the reminder of the race!
I passed Michelle & the boys (not by much at all) and got to the finish quickly! I had Katalina get out & cross the finish line! It was soooooo cute! And then watched Martin & Jeffrey & Michelle finish!
She had brought her 3 boys & some friends with their kids. So there was a little after race hanging out. The kids goofed around & the adults stood around talking about RACING!
Overall it was the perfect first race experience with my kids. (on the course I encountered several parents fighting with their kids). I'm so glad they enjoyed the experience & that we did it together as a family.
I can not wait to keep doing this with them!
PS the very best thing was next morning when bugs gets up & says "both my legs hurt" hahahaha yup you got dead leg syndrome son :)

1 comment:

  1. Love love LOVED this post!!! GOOOOOOO Martin!!! GOOOOO Katalina!!!

    ReplyDelete