Sunday, February 19, 2012

Time trial

This weekend was an important training day. It was our 30 mile time trial & 3 mile run AND our honored teammate picnic.
I had gotten myself prepared this week. Gotten my new water bottle cage & new rim strip to replace the stuff in my tires coach said will lead to flats.
We signed up & got #s for the time trial I was # 39. Right in the middle of the pack. Everything went seemingly well. We rode the silver strand in Coronado which is flat long & equally boring riding the bike path as it is to run I in the 1/2 marathon. One of my goals was to keep working on drinking on the bike. My first attempt I dropped my bottle (awe geez) I had to stop avoid getting run over my teamies grab my bottle! So I was trying to make my way quick but people kept passing me. I definitely would consider use of aero bars after this ride. I bet it would of been more comfortable. When I got the the bottle exchange I got a cramp in my stomach so I actually stopped got off my bike & stretched. I almost fell off my bike trying to swap bottles as well. Looking like its not my day? I made it back to the start & got off my bike & ran around the path & got ready to do loop two. I literally got 30 yards away & had a flat!
This was seriously something I had dreaded! The good news: I have been to 2 tire changing lessons, I had my seat bag with supplies attached. Bad news: everything else!
Let's go inside my head in this moment: "ok Katie what do we do? I don't know my mind is blank. Remain calm you can get this."
All my teammates kept asking if I was ok "yes I got a flat" some offered help & I declined, not willing to mess up someone else's time trial!
It was the back tire which I did get off! I got the bad tube out, got the new one in (feeling confident here). I went to fill up CO2 & it didn't work right! The tube was sticking out from the tire! I had forgotten to push the stem up & be sure that wouldn't happen. I deflated it corrected & when I filled with my second & last CO2 I did THAT wrong & it didn't fill :( This was my moment of defeat. I was going to put my flat tire back on & walk back.
Problem: I could NOT get my tired back on! I literally spent 20 minutes trying to get it back on. I was so frustrated, stressed, embarrassed, mad, sad...you name it. Then the tears started. I was so disappointed my time trial was ruined & I felt like a huge failure. (I almost want to cry rethinking the moment). This is was my first real did not finish moment. One of the mentors who was roving SAG came & tied to help me with my tires.
She ended up not able to get it on either. She helped me get my bike back. Coach literally to one look at it said I didn't do the very first step. Clicked my gears over & popped the tire on in less then 30 seconds. It was so hard not to just start bawling. I had lost so much time that I could not finish the second 15 mile loop & just took off on the 3 mile run.
I'm glad this experience happened now & not on race day! I learned a lot! I also had so much trouble with my tires
Coach's advice. Get new tires. This week I spent some money (frugally) got 2 new tires & extra tubes & CO2. I'm all set & hopefully of/when it happened again I will be ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment