Thursday, April 14, 2011

Home stretch

I can not believe the marathon is so close!!! I must admit the way things were going with my runs I was getting nervous.
I headed out Saturday determine to complete my 15 miles run NO MATTER WHAT!!! I also have learned my lesson about pre-run behavior...I rested the day before! Even though I am in the team weight loss challenge I did some carb loading the night before


And the morning of....



I did feel good when I ran as far as a full belly BUT according to the scale I over-did it (gained) so I'm gonna work on finding correct portions for the carb load.

This weeks run started at crown point in mission bay. This was where my first run with the run club was. I think I ran 8 miles that first time. Now I was doing 15!!!


My frustration with my running club continues...I was actually considering going along with the other run club that was meeting in the same spot. My friend said she could bring a guest and there were people doing long distances.
Unfortunately she didnt show up :(
My coach came & at first I was the only one there. 3 other runners came all doing short runs. The coach did not have 15 miles mapped out exactly.
We discussed a route that she was also gonna take.
I headed around mission bay & when I got to the end of the path instead of going around the bay I decided I would much rather run by the beach so I headed over to the boardwalk. I headed north towards the pier and decided just to go there & back & see how far that was. Along the way I found the aid station for the other running club. I dunno if it is bad running etiquette but I filled up my water. I got go the pier and was just over 5 miles one third done!!! I ran back & hit up that aid station again. I drank a lot of water!!!
I went to the other end of the boardwalk and back. I loved running along the beach!!!





I needed more water again!!! I wanted to head back to that aid station! By the time I filled back up I was at 10 miles!!! Woohoo
I then left the beach/boardwalk- I think I covered plenty of distance there ;) I was gonna head the rest of the way around the bay but thought it could possibly put me over so I cut over the Ingram street bridge and when I got over it's two little hills was at about 13 miles. I was less then 1 mile from the start so I went down the stairs to get under the bridge (can you say severe knee pain going down stairs ouchies) an headed away from the start! That way I could turn around after 3/4 miles & hit my goal! Which I did!!!! 15 miles!!!



This run was just what I needed! After so much getting in the way of my long runs to have a solid 15 miles under my belt gives me more confidence & determination.

I have to add that since the 1/2 marathon I have now had knee pain with these long runs :( luckily I met someone who has offered to help with my knee pain!

ICE ICE Baby


Between my new friend ice & my old faithful jacuzzi I'm gonna try to keep my body together for this race :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: