Thursday, April 28, 2011

The train run

I should write about this before my next run. I have been lame about my blogging! I miss the endless posts about my bootcamps detailing each drill & how hard everything is.
I have so much going on both with training, weigh loss and my real life outside the gym.
I'm halfway through weightless challenge 2 & part of me wants to say I suck!!! But the other part of me want to say I don't. I am no way taking this on like I did last time. I didn't cheat one time! I tracked every morsel of food worked out way more!! This time I don't know what is missing from the formula! I have lost 9.8 pounds that is not bad at all. But the bulk of it was week one. I need to get back on track! My goal for this challenge was 15 pounds. I can totally do that IF I stick to the plan!!! Ultimately I decided my goal weight range 135-145. I don't know what I will look like or feel like when I get in that range. I'm going to decide when I get there (yes I said when!!) what my best weight is. Plus I want to be a size 6 I'm a 10 (snug 8) now. I can honestly say in Dec 2008 when I was snuggly outgrowing my size 20s I never would have dreamed I would someday achieve what I have so far & be training to complete my first marathon.
GOD IS GOOD!
Yes I give God the glory, I could not have done any of this without Him. I know He helped guide me, has given me strength, heard my prayers, provided for me. He is GOOD!

I am still becoming a triathlete...just taking a momentary stop off in becoming a runner/marathoner land.
The next triathlon is Sept 11th (I need to register ASAP). I will start training and blogging about it after the marathon, now 40 days away.
This week was my 2nd run with the new running club. I found my pace group and the timing was perfect! This week was the biggest run yet 30k or 18.6 miles. In order to get the mileage we take the train from Solana Beach to Oceanside & run back!
ALL ABOARD!!


Ready to run!!!


My pace group VEGAS!


We got off the train & I found my coach & group. They take a big group pic which took a while to organize. Then each coach broke away with their group and gave some instructions. Then off we went! We headed north about a mile then turned around. I loved knowing we just had to keep running straight back to the car. I am not shy in any way shape or form so I chatted with the peeps in my group. Everyone was in good spirits, excited in the beginning. Christian the coach is a very happy lady. The group runs together & she keeps pace. If one person needs to walk everyone walks she said. & she let's us know when to take a GU & when the aid stations are. The first station was a water stop at mile 2. The second one was at 4 and then 6. Because this is a jig run the aid stations were manned by volunteers & at some they even wrote messages to the runners along the route. The turns were all chalked out with arrows & some random spots had messages :)
After mile 6 we had 4 miles to the next aid station. & the last one was at mile 14 (the top of this hill :-/)



the aid stations each had water & sport drink. GU gels & then various supplies. One had fruit (grapes, bananas, oranges) & pretzels. Another jelly beans :D
Getting GU


The run was beautiful. I am amazed how I have fallen for running. This was never something I imagined I would enjoy or long to do (keep in mind I hate the treadmill) I love moving along the road/path/trail. Breathing, sweating, listening to music, thinking, praying it is so cleansing & refreshing!
I especially love running by the ocean (my home away from home) only thing I want more is to be out on the water (see other blog re: fishing)






Remember this guy from my 9 mile run?! We met again mile 15 or so!


My passion for running goes from getting ready to about mile 10. Then things change a little. I have found I love a 10 mile run beyond that the way I feel begins to waver. This run was no different...
I actually got up to mile 12 & started to fatigue. My text said something like "pray momma is weary" this prompted a series of encouraging texts from Elizabeth (shout out gf) & even one from fellow marathon trainer Jenni (aka Elizabeth's sister). Thanks girls! It helps knowing prayers are goin out & my peeps are rooting for me & believe in me ;)
I took some GU & gummies at that point which gave me a little pep/energy. At this point our group broke up. I was told later this usually doesn't happen. BUT the coach had to hang back with the one guy who was struggling & the other 3 girls kept the pace up. One other girl (Stacy) & I slowed to about the same pace. We hit the last aid station @ mile 14 & those girls kept going I fell behind & Stacy (I'm 99% sure that is her name) walked. So I eneded up alone on my run. Stopping & starting in the higher mileage causes my knees to hurt. It's like if I keep moving & never stop there is no pain but once I do i am made fully aware my knees are mad at me. Mile 15-16 was my wall that everyone talks about. My knees hurt, I was all alone & it was getting HOT! I walked a bit then when I tried to run again the pain was terrible! I prayed to God asked Him to help me. I switched back on my worship music & a great song came on (I listen to pandora on my phone & switch stations based on what I feel like-usually worship but sometimes I need some rock or club music to help me get a rhythm going). Then thoughts of my brother flooded my mind. I started to tear up from the pain I felt a little & from his suffering a lot. I can't complain about some self inflicted knee pain when he battled through unimaginable pain for his life. I told him I was gonna finish for him, for him memory.
It was a HARD last few miles I barely crawled along the road!
Finally after over 4 hrs I finished! The coaches had told us all week to bring clothes/towel to go in water after run. It was pretty cold but felt good! I think it actually helped cause I feel I recovered better then my 15 mile run this time!
I'm pretty dang proud of this milestone with my marathon training & also dreading adding 8 more miles on this run....whew gonna be a rough one.
26.2 40 days away

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful account of the run! I love when you talk about your brother, and how he inspires you to complete the things you set out to do...even after his death.

    I can't believe my 18 mile run is approaching in just 48 hours...I'm literally sweating just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete