Saturday, December 25, 2010

San Diego Storm Watch 2010

The news always makes a huge deal when a little rain falls in San Diego. This is one of the few times it was actually a pretty nasty unrelenting storm. So I'd be ok if they launched the Storm Watch campaign. I moved last year to Mission Valley which is infact in the valley and like a stones throw from the Stadium AND San Diego River. Both of which flood in any rain more then a drizzle. My actual complex and apartment are on a hill and never in danger of flooding the worst we see is the streets flooding around us with only one way in and out of the neighborhood (up hill away from the river).

So I went to Boot Camp on Wed. (run day which was NOT gonna happen cause it was raining heavily). I was so sleepy didnt even see that half the parking lot was roped off until I almost ran into the rope. My YMCA (Mission Valley YMCA) also runs along the river which had over flowed and was now rushing along the vacant lot adjacent to the building AND through 50% of the parking lot. I parked in the last spot before the rope...then thought for a second probably should move to higher ground. (Thank God I did because later when we left the gym an hour later the water had risen and the car that DID park there was half under water). There was no sidewalk left either we had to walk through the water to get to dry ground.

So Boot Camp was inside since we could not run...it was same ol' same ol'....I must say I miss my boot camp buddie who is traveling for the holidays.

Anyway right in the middle of our circuits the power went completely out in the whole gym (I wonder what that was like on the tredmill???).
Jason was sort of at a loss what to do, he ran to the front desk and came back said it may be the whole street that is out. We had all migrated towards the windows as there was light coming from the windows and exit signs. Jason was sort of baffled what to do then said alright lets keep going....if you want to...and we did 3 sets of 16 push ups. Of course everyone kept going. Turns out if you are crazy enough to go to boot camp @ 5:30am you are crazy enough to do push ups in the dark.
The lights came back on and we continued the circuits. Eventually there was one more momentary outage then the lights stayed on until we finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment