Wednesday, March 16, 2011

First bike ride

I have blogged in the past about my coworker and friend who has done an ironman triathlon. She took me out on my first ocean swim. I guess it is only fitting that she took me out for my first ride on my new bike.
Here is what she knew that I didn't know when she said "I will go ride with you" I.NEEDED.HER!!!!!!!!
Obviously I know how to ride a bike, what is new to me is the clip shoes/pedals. It's a whole different ball game being attached to the bike!! I have been petrified about this!!! Well about falling which I had resolved in my mind was gonna happen.
I did not realize is more than just clip in and ride...and that is why I'm so glad she had the foresight to be there!!! She went over a bunch of stuff with me!!! How to take off and on my tires, (I need a flat repair kit asap! Which she is also gonna teach me to change a flat). Safety tips, hand signals, etiquette on the road. Most importantly how to get clipped in and start riding.
So I clipped in to my pedal for the first time and....CRASH down I went!!!! I couldn't help but laugh!! There it was my biggest fear had happened...I fell & she says "good we got that overwith let's try again". So I got up clipped in again and...CRASH I went on the other side...again I just laughed...don't get me wrong I was falling hard on the asphalt but it was also funny.
A few guys rode by and checked on us...she assured them I was fine and just learning my clips.
This is all part of becoming a triathlete...
So I think my third try or fourth I did get momentum going and clipped in and rode off YAY!!! But then I also has to learn to unclip and stop EEK!!!!
I think the final total was 5 crashes. Eventually though I got the hang of it an we went for a ride she helped me learn the gears, had me shift through them and get a feel for the bike. When you are clipped in the difference is you are not just pushing down on the pedals you are also pulling up. So it is a push/pull action that increases your speed and helps with hills too! She has me go on this one stretch of road and just go fast as I could (I could have gone faster I bet BUT not looking forward to my first high speed crash just yet).
It felt amazing though to be whizzing down the road!! I LOVED IT!!! It was the same feeling when I conquered that first swim..triumph, progress, confidence!!!
I still have a lot of practice and only less then 2 weeks until my next triathlon.
I am not read to ride on the streets (scary) and I'm not confident that I can do this without a few more crashes but I know eventually as with everything else I have done so far with time I will get it!!!










- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I love reading this journey! I love your positive attitude! You are so much more hardcore than me! (not that either of us should be shocked by that, HAHAHAHA!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's all part of becoming a triathlete." LOVE IT!

    You are doing a great job, Katie. Thanks for keeping it real and for being so good about sharing your ups and downs...lol

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete