Monday, March 21, 2011

Half Marathon

February 13th Safari Park half marathon..
My friend Elizabeth & I listened to all the emails that told us to get their EARLY!!!! Turns out people that didn't actually couldn't get to the park & some missed the race!!






This is us at about 5:30am which since it was daylight savings felt more like 4:30am





Ready to race!!!

The race started a few minutes after 7am

She is a very fast runner and took off without me instantly..see ya buddy!

So as soon as we took off I realized I forgot my inhaler!! I panicked!!! I ran through my options in my mind: turn around go get it, go without it, or the seemingly best idea at the time just forget this whole idea all together & quit!!!

I was freaking out in my mind!!! There was no confidence only doubt, fear and chaos!!!




Somehow I decided to just keep going, watch my breathing (especially with the hills) and get this done.

To this date I had run no further then 9 miles. I told myself just run to 9 then if you wanna walk then walk. The race had stresses a 3 hour time limit! At my pace of 12 minutes per mile I should have finished at 2hrs 36min...

Here is the sad thing...I was not ready for this race! I was ready in the sense that I have the strength, endurance & stamina. I had my race belt with iPod & electrolyte chews & gu's. I had my water bottle and little drop ins that make water into electrolyte drinks!

But the days before the race I sabotaged myself & completely robbed my ownself from success. The big celebration friday night left me totally dehydrated! Then instead of spending Saturday re-hydrating and resting I went to Long Beach for a fishing expo all day. I walked around the convention center (forgot my water bottle) and shopped the whole day!!!

Every in of that half marathon was a struggle for me! I was miserable the whole time! I did not stop except at 2 water stations. I ran (or shuffled) every bit off it!!! Including every killer hill and there were a few!!



At mile 10 I was both relieved and defeated. I was so tired and yet 3 miles seemed doable...
LONGEST 3 MILE EVER!!!!!

I was barely in front of the 3 HR pace person so I had to keep pushing!!! It was so hard!! This girl walking along the road had a sign that said "just when you feel like giving up remember why you have pushed yourself this long. You can do it"
She was right! I kept going for what truly seemed like the most trying 3 miles of my life (ask me if I still feel this way in a week after my last 3 miles of my tri)

Finally there it was!!!!!






I finished at 2 hrs 58 min and some seconds....at least I made the under 3 hour limit!!!

Finishing this race was not like the last two triathlons or my 10k. I felt like crap, my knees were in pain...I was miserable!!!!

I know it's because I was dehydrated from the weekend AND I have been tri training and only running 2 times a week not
3-4. I'm so happy the triathlon is almost here and I will be able to solely focus on marathon training until the big race!

After the race












I ended up feeling sick for a day or two post race...again I think my poor planning resulted in this...I'm so glad I learned what I did through doing the Half. I'm anxious to see how my long runs compare & see me progress as the marathon approaches.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. FINALLY! HAHAHA! No but seriously, I am so glad you posted! There were many bits in here that I was unaware of! And I totally didn't see that one lady's sign...God is good to give us the things we need when we need them. :0)

    ReplyDelete