Thursday, March 24, 2011

Trippin'

The week after the half marathon my long run with the running club was 12 miles. The running club is not as good as I thought it would be. There was a different coach with the YMCA before. A lot of my boot camp friends were part of the group & this season that coach left the Y and took all the people with her! She started her own company San Diego run & tri club. They do triathlon training as well. So the San Diego striders group through the Y that I am part of is in a restarting phase with very few members, a new coach who is new to SD and has some definite kinks!
I can't take part in the midweek tempo runs with the group so I am feeling kinda like the random long run outsider of the group. Add to that I am the ONLY one doing the full marathon in my group AND the slowest I spend my long runs alone. Several of our runs have been the same place as the other club so I pass my my BC friends.
What I do like is the outdoor runs & variety each week, & that it is all planned for me. It's just the other club is way more organized & set up better.

This weeks run was from La Jolla shores. I had talked to the girls from the other group the were running the opposite direction in the same part of town.






Our run left from the beach (why didnt I take a beach pic?!?! LAME) and we immeadiately ran up a long giant hill!!! It was so hard cause it went on forever!!!! Then the rest of the run was pretty flat. The map/route we were given said to the end of the golf course & back. Since this run I have added a run tracker to my phone so I can keep track of mileage. Being left so far behind I never know where I'm at or how far I have to go!
I was almost to the start of the golf course when in of my worst fears was realized...I FELL!!!! I was just picking up some speed when I hit a crack/bump in the side walk and crashed down hard on my left side! I landed on my hip, knee & palm of my hand. This happened right in front of some runners from the other running club...turned out to be one of my BC friends. I got up and seemed despite the pain no major damage so I kept going. I ran probably another mile to the end of the golf course but had a feeling it wasn't 6 miles yet (I had no way of knowing and didn't see anyone from my group anywhere). There was a path that went much further but I felt I should turn around as I had at least 5 miles to get back to the start & was starting to feel the pain from my fall.



Bruise on hip & skinned knee



The run back was tough! My spirits were down from taking the tumble, my left hip and knee were sore (& as you can see bleeding).
At least the last part of the run was down the giant hill. If it hasn't been I guarantee I would have called someone to come get me. (note to self: never run with out phone).
I think my final mileage was about 10 miles and I was ok with that.
My triathlon will be over in another week and I will be able to give the next 10 weeks focus to the marathon training!


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment