Sunday, March 6, 2011

My new bike

I have been stalling and debating on this bike issue for so long. The problem I faced was that the bike I used for the last two triathlons, my moms 20 year old mountain bike was not gonna cut it anymore.
I had some choices...#1 borrow a bike. So I asked around (posted on Facebook) & it seemed like one guy may have been able to help. Until he asked wifey for permission. #2 rent a bike. This may have been cheaper in the short term but not practical for training & future racing (if I intend to keep racing) #3 buy a bike which has 2 parts to this option #3a used bike via craigslist or #3b get a new bike.
I decided to go loom around at a few bike shops just to get an idea of what I was in for cost-wise.
The way my life is= BUSY!!!! I can't just set aside a whole day to bike shop. It was broken up into little time slots where I went to shops (with my kids that part is a whole other nightmare).
Trek was my first stop. Basically walk in tell salesperson I am poor need a road bike what is the cheapest you got? $689 out the door for most basic bike they have. Next stop B&L they have an add for a start up triathlete package includes bike, wetsuit, tri suit, and other accessories for $1100. Their cheapest bike (the one that comes in that packages deL is $920 before tax. The package would be a great deal IF I had $1100.
High Tech bikes was my next stop. The salesman Tomas was super patient and helpful. Their cheapest bike was $650 again so basic but close to my budget.
I kept voicing my bike need on Facebook & everyone kept saying craigslist. The problem with CL is my time issues.
In did end up finding a bike that seemed to be just what I needed!! The thing with CL is people are flakes!!
With my schedule I knew I wouldn't have time to run all over town and try to meet people. Plus I work opposite schedule then most so I figured I would not be able to make it work. This one bike was a carbon frame (means very light weight) specialized brand. I emailed the ad to my cousin who checked with my other cousin's hubby (who is all things bike) and he said it was a great bike & probably a much better bike then the cheap basic new bikes I was looking at.
The ad said she paid $1500 new. She was asking $900. My first email said "will you take $500-600?" She said $600 is fine. I went to look at it on a Friday and because the tires were flat couldn't ride it. I was so scared to invest the money in a bike for a few reasons! That is a lot of money for me!!! It was coming from my tax return but still a lot of money. Also by buying the bike it means...I have to continue to pursue this whole triathlete thing!!!!!
I did not buy the bike that night I wanted to think about it, sleep on it. I called the one bike shop that I used to tune up my moms bike & that has the other bike I was thinking about and asked about fittings. When you buy the bike from them you get lifetime fitting and routine maintenance. A fitting costs $75 otherwise. I was told a proper fit is very important. So I didn't really sleep on it...I couldn't sleep...I couldn't decide what to do. Finally I decided if I could get her to take $525 then after fitting I would be right at my max I wanted $600. Well she agreed!!! So the next morning I got my bike!!!!




-











I went in for the fitting and they were so helpful. The didn't make me feel like a moron for being a complete novice. Both the guys I dealt with said I got a good deal! Especially cause I got the shoes (which fit) with it (shoes cost $100 minimum).
To get fit they but the bike in a trainer which turns it into a stationary bike. The have to pedal and make adjustments and take very precise measurements to be sure you are riding correctly. It feels like the seat is too high but I just have to get use to it. It helped trying out the clip pedal/shoes in the trainer first. I asked him for some tips and he was so knowledgable.
So now I am all set & ready to ride!!!!!



Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment