Thursday, November 17, 2011

Becoming a triathlete

I have learned so much in just a few days! AND I haven't even been to a official training yet!!! Wednesday I met with my mentor Kristen (did I mention I'm assigned a mentor to help me through the training & fundraising process). I met over by her house and she took me on a 4.2 mile. It included a lot of trail, railroad crossing and a decent hill...along the run she shared with me a lot of great information that coach has shared with the team.
Then today I met with Tony the swim coach again. OH MY GOSH! I learned so much and in just 2 short lessons I have improved!! What he showed me was drills that first develop control, then form & in the long run help with distance & endurance! I'm so excited to practice & work on the drills! I'm sure by the time I get to actually meet with team for pool swims & open ocean swims I will be awesome!
Then I headed up to a warehouse sale for some tri gear! In our tri clinic they said we NEED bike shorts & eventually tri shorts & bike jerseys.
I went to the bike store & shorts were $50 I was discouraged. I can not afford that! Or the $35 tire repair kit they said we also need.
God is faithful! I got a coupon deal online for tire change kit $17 (with shipping) and at this sale for the same $50 I got bike shorts, tri shorts a tri top & a warmers!!!!
I am ready to race!!!

Coach Tony is awesome...here are his comments after working with me today!
wow. you looked great in the water today.
the last lap i watched when leaving... you looked so smooth.
:D

reminder: the next handful of swim sessions...
keep working skate.
i want you to get to the point where it just feels natural.
ideally you get to where you can do a lap up and back and not really be thinking about anything other than how easy that was...

2nd: hesitation.
same thing here, really really focus on keeping that lead hand out until you start rotating to enter the recovering hand.
especially when breathing.
if you're dropping the hand when breathing, you're probably propping your head up a little.
keep that head low and the hand will stay up easier.

3rd: quick catch.
once skate and hesitation are down, quick catch will be where we sneak out that little extra efficiency.
our goal: direct our propulsion backwards, not downwards or sideways.
:D

very very nicely done today.

No comments:

Post a Comment