Thursday, November 10, 2011

Just keep swimming

I was sure I used this title for a previous blog post but I didn't see it anywhere....while looking though I a few past blogs caught my eye. I am amazed at how far I have come and the change in me both physically, emotionally and spiritually. To think of where I was in all those areas of life when this all started to where I am now! I also don't know what would have happened to me had I not got off the couch and started! Especially when my brother passed...I read how I ran 7 miles on his birthday WOW! I remember that day, I also remember the day of his memorial I ran 5 miles. There is something about that time I spend alone training that brings me a great peace. As a EXTREMELY busy single mom I think it's the only me time and time with God I really get. My days are so full and not regrettably, it just it what it is.
So running seems to be my go to place BUT that needs to change AND FAST! In just 4 short months (or regular months actually-the length of days is not different...just seems that way) I have to swim one mile in the ocean in Hawaii!!!! The pool needs to be my new happy place! I am not a strong swimmer...I suck at swimming!!! I have yet to do much but back stroke and doggie paddle through my races. I need and want that to change. I'm not sure how I assume that will happen when I avoid the pool as much as possible!!!
I know better, I know I need to swim to get better. There was a time when 3 miles was torture for me to run, but as I said before I found a 7 mile and 5 mile run soothing after I stuck with it! I need to just get in and start where I am at and just keep swimming!
It is a lot easier to just run then it is to just swim. With swimming you have to have a suit, goggles, cap, towel, flip flops and you have to SHAVE haha Not to mention you have to go out in the cold and jump in the cold pool (ok that is not always the case but it is right now). Ideally I would like to swim during the day BUT as a homeschooler I have to put school as the priority each day and it takes FOREVER...there is never any gym time left before work in my day. SO that means I have to get in the pool during my normal gym time 5:30 am BRRRRRRR also means I have to give up some of the other workouts I enjoy like boot camp.
I came up with a plan though! I could no longer put off getting in the pool it was time to swim! So when time changed last week I decided this was an opportunity for me to trick my body into more time to work out. If I got up an hour early my body wouldn't know any better and I could swim prior to my 530 work out. Well Monday came and I packed all my stuff to swim and to change and do boot camp. I got to the pool and to be honest realized the 70 degree water was probably going to feel better then the 45 degree cold air outside the pool.
I jumped in and swam. My stamina SUCKED but I did it. I just swam a 100 yards at a time and rested. I'm just glad I did it. You what ended up being the hardest part was getting out!! It was FREEZING, I'm sure as we get into winter this will only be worse. Luckily the jacuzzi is open and give me a chance to defrost before I go work out.
I tried this routine Tuesday too BUT I had worked out too much Monday and my body was TIRED. Today was awesome though and I did it! I know I can keep this up and even some days swim instead of boot camp as my workouts get longer in the pool. I am very confident now that I can keep this up and eventually I will rock that Lavaman swim....
NOW I need to figure out how to get on my bike and not fall and not be scared of that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment