Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What I learned today...

I joined team in training because I lost my brother to leukemia & I am passionate about the cause. My life was changed forever because of cancer. I must admit I feel hesitant in some ways about the whole thing. The race is a big deal, traveling, training & the fundraising is consuming. AND being 100% honest I wasn't sure about the people. I'm sure I've written in the past how impressive the TNT team was during the marathon. The coaches & race support was incredible. Not to mention personal friends who have red with them & told me to join. I get along with pretty much anyone but my first reaction was feeling like I was being inducted to a cult (I've done direct sales & joined clubs & other things before-it's a similar feeling each time). -I know eventually TNT peeps will tea this & hope they don't take offense- I am just being honest. Yes I wanna train & do this race, yes I am honored to raise $ for LLS but I'm not so sure I want to jump in to the team thing so much. Probably the dumbest attitude (but everyone is huggy & cheery-& that is not me). I am sure I will get there & eventually be sucked in. Im sure at race finish I will be all hugs.
Anyway all that said to write that today I was blown away! Part of me feeling solo & wanting to be solo is that in training on my own (swim & run). This got scary! When I saw the coach post videos & workouts that made no sense to me I worried. So I emailed the swim coach. What did he do....he offered to meet me when I swim & teach me the drills! It was SO HELPFUL! He is a gifted teacher & patient. This showed me how committed TNT coaches & mentors really are committed to out success. My mentor gets a lot of messages from me & always replies.
Coach showed me the skate drill.
It took me awhile by eventually I got it! I can tell you already this time will be different on the swim...shoot the whole race! They are not going to let me go into this unprepared! I'm so excited to have help & guidance this time!
Coach is gonna work with me again this week & I am so glad. Here was his response to me after our lesson (I found it VERY encouraging)

Thank you!
It was my pleasure working with you this morning. I was quite impressed with your level of body awareness. It makes my life a lot easier when the swimmer can tell and feel what's "right." And, I could definitely tell that you could and made adjustments as appropriate.
You are going to be a fantastic swimmer.
:D

If you are swimming Thursdasy morning again, I'd like to meet again to focus this time on the post-skate drills: finger drag, hesitation, and quick catch.
Those, building on top of a good skate, will lead to an easy but fast swim.
:)

Let me know about Thursday!

I'm going to bed today feeling awesome & blessed to have this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment