Thursday, January 13, 2011

Recovery Mode

I've been sort of in a rut or funk this week. I thought it was my mind failing me. All week moments and waves of self doubt were coming over me. Monday was awesome! I did boot camp AND spin class! Then Tues I didn't get outta bed when the alarm went off. It was my day off and I just could not get outta my warm bed. Later on in the day between all my normally scheduled mom duties (homeschool, bowling league, laundry, karate) I made it to the gym!
I had 1.5 hours to get 'er done. I planned to run 20-30 minutes, then hit the pool for laps AND hopefully jacuzzi.
I got on the tredmill and it was just like one of the days I had when I was training for the last triathlon I just couldn't GO! I made it like 16 minutes and just didn't have the get up and go....sooooo I headed to the pool. I found the exact same problem in the pool! The more I tried I just couldn't go. I was also messing in my head. The more I tried the more I was telling myself I can't do this, I can't do this triathlon. There is no way I am capable to do it!!! (Ummm HELLO?!?!?! You have already DONE a triathlon). I just seemed to exhaust real easily that day. So I went to the jacuzzi...
In the jacuzzi I jokes to the girl next to me that my jacuzzi time was longer then my workout hehehe
She said sometimes that is what your body needs. She said if your body is in recovery mode it just won't go and if you push it then you can get injured.
So then I went to pick up the kids and in talking to the childcare worker (who I see working out all the time) and she confirmed it. She said if you go through your warm up and after like 10 minutes you can't seem to get going then she said your body is talking to you and telling you that it needs time to rest.
So after talking with my co-runner & her vast knowledge (she is the research department) she confirmed her marathon books say this too...

So here is what I learned: listen to my body & rest when it says, and read a marathon book

No comments:

Post a Comment