Friday, February 4, 2011

fainting spell

Something happened that I think is totally expected but a bummer none the less....
I got an email from the next triathlon I registered for with a link to the course map. I checked it out and immediately PANICKED!!!!!!
There were so many things I have been concerned about with this race, the swim being longer then I have ever done, not having a decent bike to practice on or race with, not having the time to completely focus on tri-training. Don't get me wrong all the other stuff I am doing is contributing, especially the weight loss! It is going to be so much easier in the long run being lighter and stronger.
The bike portion of the race is all up hill 1o miles climbing 1800 feet with up to a 15 % grade.
I have never done anything but a flat bike course, swam 500 yards. I have not had a successful swim portion yet really (in my opinion).
So I sent a message to the race promoter saying I was probably NOT going to do the race. That I was a beginner and had no idea how advanced this race was. He wrote back said the swim including the transition distance so it is actually 450 yards (I scared he is lying hehe), that the bike portion has switchbacks (I have NO clue what a switchback is hehe) to make it easier. He offered to allow me to do a relay at no extra cost....that is not going to happen.
I also emailed my cousin that I am doing the race with and said the same stuff. It is too advanced, I dont have a bike, I cant do it, I cant do it, I cant do it, also reads as blah blah blah.
My cousin sent me an encouraging message back. Basically no one is letting me get out of this...
So the next day I hopped in the pool and something amazing happened!! I had the best swim ever. I felt like I was floating and gliding through the water!!!! I swam for over 20 minutes with out stopping!!! That is probably more or less how long the race swim portion will take. That swim really helped me realize I CAN DO THIS. failure is not an option for me and having the TEAM challenge makes it a little tougher to fine time...BUT after my swim I realized one way or another I will finish this race....I guess I dont have a choice....

No comments:

Post a Comment