Saturday, January 7, 2012

Meet Newell

Today was my first "brick" training with TNT. Brick is when you practice sports back to back. Today we met up & during out meeting some security came & made us pack up everything & move out of the lot we were in! So we actually parked on the street & set up our transition station on the street! Mine ended up on a patch of grass next to the side walk. We took off all together (SO MANY PEOPLE NOW). First coach rode us on the 1 mile bike course so we would know where to go after we finished the bike ride. The bike ride went down through quite a few turns in a residential area, a lot of turns actually! I was afraid I would get LOST! Coach stopped after most turns on the first round I keep everyone together but once we got back we had to go out 3 more rounds on our own! The last part of the ride was UPHILL!
After the ride we switched gear for the run & took off. My first ride (except for the hill) & run felt GOOD! As well a 4 mile bike 1 mile run should!!! The second ride I was with a few people. I was able to follow the route. I really struggled with the uphill parts...BUT on the downhills...I started to go FASTER! I really feel so different on my bike the last few rides. It's feeling more comfortable, I'm more confident, it's almost exhilarating (seriously who am I?!?!). I honestly can say I enjoyed riding my workout today. It was SO HARD though. It was one of the hardest workouts I've ever done. The second round was tough & my calves had trouble transitioning from bike to run. I wasn't sure 4 rounds was going to happen! The 3rd ride I was so tired my legs were like lead. As I took off on the 3rd run my calves cramped I had to stop to stretch & a teammate stopped to check on me & offered me salt tablets. THANK GOD cause I needed them! Helped me so much :) I couldn't believe I still had one more round to go, especially that last hill! Somehow this round I ended up completely alone (this always seems to happen) I used the time to pray & think about my brother. I love that I get these moments all to myself & can mediate & reflect. I don't get much quiet time other then this is life. As I was fully enjoying my ride I decided as a friend advised to name my bike :) Jeani has told me all along that I will come to a point where I trust my bike as much as I trust my own body. I can see how that happens. Even though it's an inanimate object there is a bond forming (I sound crazy I know). I found myself looking forward to getting back on my bike this week. Everything on it is becoming second nature. I've grown so much in my ability on the bike. What everyone said is true it's time in the saddle! I never would of done this on my own so I'm glad I joined team in training :) I picked the name Newell after my favorite fishing reel ;p
Also today Noel's picture went up on the teams wall of honor. It's going to Lavaman with us so we can display all our honored teammates.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this might be one of my favorite posts!!! I love hearing about your progress, and your connection to your bike! <3

    ReplyDelete