Monday, January 2, 2012

Scripps Poway Parkway

There were a lot of memerable things about this ride. I grew up in Scripps Ranch not anywhere near the area we rode because when I grew up there none of this area was developed! We met at a school in Scripps which again since I left the area more elementary and middle school popped up! The cool thing about this ride was my cousin volunteered to do sag wagon for the team! She didn't know what she was getting herself into which makes her a good sport and great supporter. First of all she has to sacrifice her Sat morning (which probably included an early Fri night). Come out in the cold morning to meet us and then drive around all morning following crazy TNT peeps! While coach was going over our ride he said something so interesting to me because it happened JUST like he said. He said as you are going along Scripps Poway Parkway there will be a moment when up ahead of you coming into view will be a long windy road going up the mountain, and you will think it is a fire road or private road. No people THAT is Scripps Poway Parkway and that is the road you will eventually make your way to the top of!! He said there will be a moment when you are climbing that hill, when you will want to give up, where it will be hard and in that moment you will think of our honored teammates the ones that can't do what we are doing, the ones who can't do it because they are no longer with us. You will gain strength from them. & remember people chemo sucks worse then this. (I am paraphrasing but this is the gist). Everything he said is exactly what happened!!!! It was a tough uphill over a MOUNTAIN! How lucky was I that I had my cousin, best friend & #1 supporter out there on the road! They cruised by screaming and honking for me! After the initial fright wore off I laughed and smiled! I can not describe to anyone how big this hill was or just how hard the ride was. The cool thing is she experienced it with me! She even said, I know you tell me about the stuff you are doing but to see it is totally different. She said she was so proud of me :D The uphill was tough but even worse was I had to go back down that giant hill!!! I was so scared (just like Torrey Pines) the week prior. I wanted to ask her to put my bike in her car and just drive me back. I mean wasn't it enough that I made it over the hill. One of the mentors offered to ride back with me slow, even though she normally bombs the hills fast. I was glad she helped but felt bad holding her back. Either way going it alone was not an option. I once again used the brakes on the upper part of my handle bar. For some reason it just makes it more controlled. This time I really didn't brake the whole time screeching down the hill. I feathered them just a bit and let myself go a little faster then I was comfortable with. I was so glad when we got down the giant mountain. I actually had a nice chat with the mentor and once again arrived safely back at my car. It's like a huge release every time I get back to home base!
Later that afternoon I had the blessing of volunteering at the LLS Children's Holiday Party. Santa comes to give gifts to the children patients and all the kids in their families. It was so touching and also heartbreaking to see these children some still fighting cancer. I can't even imagine how awesome it must be for one day to come and get love on and spoiled. There was a craft room set up and bear adoption. Family portraits were donated and pictures with Santa. I was honored to be a part of such a wonderful event. I definitely imagine I will be doing more of this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment