Wednesday, September 15, 2010

OK back to work!!!

Monday the day after the race I thought I was gonna be immobile. I expected to be so sore but I wasn't! I had some soreness in the back of my legs and a little in my shoulders but I got out and did errands. I worked Monday night with no real aches or pains. I did not go work out Monday but I think I deserved and earned a day off.
So Tuesday while part of me wanted to continue with the time off I got up and headed to the pool. I figured it would get everything all loosened up and I really want to spend a lot of time swimming so that next race I can blow through the swim part.

Today was another story. All along during my training I have seen the classes at the gym that look so fun and challenging. I actually took on when I was training for the Sprint Tri. The problem was I was so sore after that I couldn't train for 3 days after. So I have been so scared to go to one of the classes. Also I must admit it is kinda tough going into these classes alone.

There are a few different classes I wanted to try. Total Body Workout, Sport Drills, and Boot Camp.
This morning at 5:30am was the boot camp. These classes are so different then the endurance training I have been doing. So I did not go into this thinking it was gonna be a walk in the park. I also had to leave work early last night so I could get a little more sleep.
I got to the class and the 2 dudes there said you here for boot camp? Yes are you the instructor? No they laughed...I said it was my first time. They said Wed. they go for a run outside. I was so starting to consider bailing haha. They said don't worry its not that hard core. Uh well I just did a triathlon so I had to run. They were like or a tri oh you are hard core.
No boys no I am not...I thought

So everyone arrives and EVERYONE knows each other and they all start stretching out. So I stretch out. The instructor arrives (hello beautiful man) and says ok lets go!! Everyone goes outside he says we are going down the street up the hill and then a set of stairs and back. I will pick up the fast people and go back for the slow people. (I think to myself HUH?). I quickly began to fret and worry cause I know I am a slow runner and these are boot camp people...sigh.
As I exit the gym he sees me and I am sure realizes I am new and says "you look worried" I agree "I am"

So the group sets out running and I am infact dead last and behind the group. Pick up means the people running in the front/fastest turn around and run back to the last person (me) and then turn around and run again. This goes on until the bottom of the hill. It is a huge hill OH MY WORD I think I may die trying this!!!! I have never ran up a hill like this in my life!!! I get like a quarter of the way up and start walking. UH OH here come the pick up line, I start running just so I don't #1 look stupid for walking and #2 make them all pissed I am so slow and behind.
I walked (as quickly as I could) up the hill and as everyone reached the top the instructor runs back to me and encourages me and says you got some shuffle in you. I do and I run to the top (you can really call what I do running hehe>
Then the group heads down hill (not steep like the one we just came up) to the stairs....
again I am trailing behind. At the base of the stairs waits the instructor. He says ok lets do this. I start out with some hussle which quickly leaves me as I can barely drag myself up the stairs. At the last two my legs like quit for a second and I growled this strange noise and he says "are you gonna puke?" (thinking I probably am close to that point). So then he tells everyone walk for one minute. Then the group jogs down the rest of the hill back to the gym and I trot behind. They are still "picking up" slow poke kate.
One chick even says don't worry I know you feel like we are all mad at you but we aren't I felt that way when I started. And everyone was very kind and encouraging the whole time. Each time they would come to pick me up and run past they would say good job, etc.
So then when we got back to the gym instructor says grab a partner we have 5 minutes for abs. How did I end up not getting a partner...kinda like last one picked in gym class huh.
The instructor had to come stand on my feet while I did cruches. I am not a cruch girl just about died. Then he sent a girl over for the second ab drill that was lay down and pull your feet up to the other person who would push them down and have to pull the legs up again.
Then class was over. Everyone again was very nice. I recognized two of the chicks from high school so I went and chatted with them. They encouraged me to come back.

The thing that is pretty cool is even though it was so hard. I loved the challenge! I will go back! I want to get better at this! I can tell you what this is the kind of stuff that will destroy those curves of mine for sure...that is if I could stop eating all the wonderful food I love so dearly!
Until I get the plan of action for the next race I will be bouncing around to all these classes kicking my own butt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment