Monday, September 13, 2010

race day


I think I will start with the night before: I got off work & went home straight to bed. I was so worried I wouldn't sleep but I had no problem. I got all my gear together in the afternoon so all I had to was set my alarm. I actually set a back up alarm.
My friend was picking me up @ 5:15am. My back up alarm went off @ 5am YIKES!!! Thank God I set it cause my smart phone went hourglass on me (as it does sometimes) & didn't go off at all!!
So I got up threw on my suit grabbed my stuff & ate a cheese omelete & grabbed coffee.
We got my bike in the car went over my checklist & took off.
When we got down to the race area I had about a half hour until the transition area closed, an hour before the race started and close to 2 hours before my wave started
I got my transistion area set up and went to find the station to apply my tri tatts (I was supposed to do that the nite before OOPS). Tri tatts are temorary tattoos with your race #s that you put on your arms, leg and division on the calf. Pretty cool actually, they used sharpies before!
Then I got in my wetsuit from the waist down. Then waited and waited and waited. I used the restroom....peed ;)
I streched & hung out with my friend. Getting more nervous and more nervous & seriously ready to bail . I DO NOT know how I would have waited with out my friend there!
So I got my wetsuit all the way on as my wave was about to start & was ready as I was ever gonna be.
Moments before going down the ramp into the water my friend suggested I get a swim buddy. Thank you Lord for giving my friend wisdom in that moment. Because I needed a swim buddy for sure!!! So taking the leap into the water took a moment...it was an in water start so I had to jump in and tread water until the starting horn. I jumped in and it actually didn't feel cold! Thank God for wetsuits. So my swim buddy (I forgot her name) chatted about what side she would be on, what stroke I use. I said freestyle and my own modified back stroke haha. She said she saw people flipping over and back and forth. So then it was finally time! The horn went off... To be continued :)

1 comment: